Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Back Again!


Well, am back again after a month's holiday to my home country India!!!  It was a great feeling to go home and be with people you love... We had planned  a trip to Jaipur before leaving to India .. the place, I for some reason always wanted to see... maybe because of the art that land is gifted with... and finally I was there...   

We stayed at Barwara Kothi, the place had a history behind it.. its a colonial villa that belonged to the royal family of Barwara... It was a nice experiance.. different from the usual stay at professional hotels....


The breakfast table set for us  at Barwara... loved the block printed table cloth from anokhi.
We did tour most of the forts of jaipur on day one and once we were done with the sight seeing we visited the the anokhi museum of hand block printing... I loved every bit of it...


The blocks of teak wood being carved for block printing...  I was amazed by the intricacy and fineness this talented craftsman has... the image below shows the fine details of his work


Some of the blocks displayed....

Mohammed Iqbal the talented block printer... he is so fast and accurate with the printing... he finishes a piece in no time...


Thats me trying a hand at traditional wood block printing... Though I do block printing , I use lino or foam... it was great to print with large  wood blocks.... I could not be as accurate as him.. he was too good!!

Jaipur is a great place to shop hand made stuff  and colorful fabrics.... There was a store called Soma at the very next building to the hotel we stayed in... and I could directly see it from our room's balcony... Though I was not aware what it was.. I suggested my husband that we should check it out... and when we went there.. we surprisingly found a very nicely set up block printed textile  store which had everything from bed linen to clothes..... It was a nice place to shop ... 
I could not leave Jaipur without buying a block printed bed spread... and so was it 


A small cushion cover from anokhi...


Black batik bed spread with hand embroidery from Jaipur and patta chitra paintings bought at a craft exhibition  in my town..


Miscallaneous buys from my place...


Finally carrying on the memories of Jaipur with a book of Royalty of Jaipur and the piece of fabric I block printed along with the talented Mohammed Iqbal


4 comments:

GB August 10, 2010 at 1:03 PM  

What a lovely post Akshatha! Love all the treasures you picked up from India. :)

How do you do block printing with lino/foam? If you can please put up a tutorial. Glad to have you back. :)

A. Naik August 10, 2010 at 10:17 PM  

Thank you! I will keep that in mind and try doing a tutorial on it sometime... you could also check out the great tutorial at http://jezzeblog.blogspot.com .... she makes it seem so understandable and easy!!

Anonymous August 25, 2010 at 11:48 AM  

*sigh* this is gorgeous... My heart skipped a beat.. I tried block painting once and failed miserably.. dont know if thats coz I started on a wall.. and was expecting too much.. Anyway.. after which I have never tried block print again..

Sound Horn Please August 25, 2010 at 6:23 PM  

Anokhi in Jaipur has always been on my list of places to visit. Now my desire to visit has increased many folds! I have block printed my lampshade, but failed miserably at block printing on silk. It is so lovely to see your work!

Blogger Templates