Saturday, September 25, 2010

Birds in colors!

Hello people! ... I love these traditional Rajasthani bird hangings..just cant get enough of them.. they are so attractive... I bought one from the bombay store at the airport last time... just regret not having brought more... so I just wanted to do my own version of it...and here it is..though the one I bought had more of bead work, I kept it simple to start off.. I want to do more of them in different patterns.... I am sure everyone who has seen them have bought them and that most of you will definitely have it in your home... so thought of putting them on my blog design as well!  though its a known fact that my blog design keeps changing..:-) laughs .. just like my home decor... change is permanent.. that applies to me a lot I guess! I get bored of blogging with the same layout...feels good and fresh with new layouts... at least a part of my engineering study helps me here ...Have a great Sunday!

alternative text
It hangs over a panel I  made of bamboo table mats stitched together....

8 comments:

sangeeta September 25, 2010 at 10:12 PM  

I love these birds too. Have made them with old bandhej fabric and they are super easy to make.
Hanging alongside this bamboo panel they look gorgeous.

A. Naik September 26, 2010 at 12:44 AM  

Thanks! bandhej fabric might look so good on them...very colorful and nice....I guess very suitable fabric to make them..

GB September 26, 2010 at 9:27 AM  

They look lovely akshatha!

Sound Horn Please September 26, 2010 at 8:47 PM  

Looks lovely! And I know what you mean.. I have Rajasthani birds hanging from every door of my house- talk about obsession! Did you stitch the table mats together yourself too?

Rekha September 26, 2010 at 11:32 PM  

I love those colorful birds, they look so cheerful..

Anonymous September 30, 2010 at 1:36 PM  

that's really beautiful Akastha, can you please elaborate on how did you make it. I am really enchanted by your beautiful creations. By the way howz your etsy shop going on ...I loved the purse as well.

A. Naik October 5, 2010 at 5:25 AM  

Thanks everyone! @ SHP: I did stitch it myself... as they have gaps in between where you could insert the needles...
@Sharkara: I will try and do a tutorial on that some time soon... but basically its just cutting the template of the bird body shape you like on a card stock and transferring it on to the fabric.. and sewing it just keeping an opening for the stuffing turning inside out stuffing it then hand sewing the opening... then take a thread that can bear weight of the number of stuffed birds you make and pierce the thread into each bird.. and thats it..... add in some wooden beads in b/w...for the tail cut pieces of wool fold in half tie a knot at the fold and sew it to the bird... any questions let me know..

Anonymous October 5, 2010 at 11:32 AM  

Thanks Akastha,That was helpful. Let me give it a shot :) by the way your new creation is also very wonderful.

Blogger Templates